Monday, August 27, 2012

That's me, examining a dragonfly with a hand lens.  I wrote about these amazing creatures -- and the curious people who chase them -- for Audubon magazine. 

While birding and butterflying have long been popular, watching and identifying dragonflies and damselflies is becoming more so.  Easy-to-use field guides are now available and states such as New York and New Hampshire have done comprehensive surveys to determine what species live there.  In the process of training its residents how to survey, these science/conservation efforts have also bred a loyal group of hobbyists and citizen scientists. 

One dragonfly devotee is Thomas Cullen, who took these photos while introducing me to the ways and wonders of dragonflies and their pursuers.  After I let go of her wings, this female chalk-fronted corporal perched on my hand for several seconds, giving me another, more relaxed perspective.


No comments: